Sunday, November 20, 2011

Aunt Gussie's Salmon Croquettes

The stars were aligned yesterday because I had one of those Saturdays where I actually accomplished everything I set out to do.  There was grocery shopping, cleaning, leaf blowing and raking, a woman's AA meeting and then a great dinner with some really good friends.  It was definitely one of those days that I would never have had back when I was imbibing because I would have been too hungover to accomplish most of that.  I may have gotten the dinner cooked, but I would have probably screwed up the recipe somewhere along the way.

A while back I made salmon croquettes for some friends from a recipe that my Great-Aunt Gussie has passed down, and they have been screaming (pleasantly) for me to make another batch.  I was only too happy to do so yesterday, because, selfishly, it makes me feel really good to make or do something for other folks when they enjoy it.  Without further ado, I offer you Aunt Gussie's Salmon Croquettes.

Ingredients:
1 can of wild salmon
salt & pepper to taste
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
 Vegetable oil

Add vegetable oil to an iron skillet about half way up.  Heat on medium heat. 

With mixer on low speed, mix the salmon, salt & pepper and eggs.  Add your buttermilk.  Sift the flour and banking soda together and then add to salmon mixture. 

Now check to see if your oil is ready by flicking some water into the oil.  If it pops, then you're ready to go.  Drop batter from spoon or ice cream scoop into hot oil.  Let fry a couple of minutes and then flip patties.  Fry until they are golden brown on both sides.  I always remove mine to a plate lined with paper towel to let the grease drip off.

I usually like to make cheese grits to go with my croquettes.  I hope that's Southern enough for y'all.

1 comment: