Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fugees Family

This morning I was really excited to see a story about The Fugee Family on the CBS Sunday Morning show.  Back when I was in grad school at Agnes Scott, I had the opportunity to meet some of these kids and actually work on a project with them for one of my education classes.  For our project we had to interview a group of kids about the challenges they faced when entering school once they reached America.  I was totally blown away by how sweet, kind and appreciative these kids were.  Every single one of them faced huge adversities getting to this country and then actually surviving once they got here. 

Even more amazing to me is the strength, hope and vision of Coach Luma, the woman who saw a group of kids playing soccer and decided to help.  Two years ago, when I got to meet some of the Fugees, they were a solidified soccer team and attending a 6-week academic boot camp at Agnes Scott.   I was truly inspired by the ability of Coach Luma to put that much together for these kids.  Now, through private funding, she has bought 19 acres of property in Clarkston, GA in order to build a school dedicated to these children.  This is proof that if you have a vision, the drive and the faith, you really can make a huge difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment